When attempting to install Loftware, the following error is generated: 'The InstallShieldEngine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Access is denied.'
To resolve this issue, you must configure your default security settings such that the currently logged in user and or group to which the user belongs is added to default launch and default access permissions.
Delete any instances of Ikernel.exe in memory
- Launching Windows Task Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and selecting task manager, or right clicking on the task bar and selecting Task Manager, or by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC simultaneously.
- Go to the processes tab and if ikernel.exe is listed, highlight it, click on End Process and Yes at the confirmation dialog.
- Close Task Manager
- Select Start / Run From the Windows NT/2000 desktop, type dcomcnfg in the Run box; the Distributed COM Configurator opens.
- Select the Default Security tab and in the Default Access Permissions section, click Edit Default
- Click Add.
- On the List Names From line, choose the appropriate domain for the currently logged in account; select Show Users. (Highlight the user from the list of names). Alternatively, you can select the group to which the currently logged in user belongs.
- Click Add, OK.
- In the Default Launch Permissions section click Edit Default.
- Click Add on the List Names From line, choose the appropriate domain for the currently logged in account then select Show Users. Highlight the user from the list of names. Alternatively, you can select the group to which the currently logged in user belongs. Click Add, OK, Apply, and OK again.
- Install LPS while logged on as the user that you just granted default access permissions to.
Delete any instances of ikernel.exe in memory, by:
- Launch Windows Task Manager. (press CTRL+ALT+DEL, select Task Manager, or right click on the task bar and select Task Manager).
- Go to the Processes tab and if ikernel.exe is listed, highlight it and click End Process and Yes at the confirmation dialog.
- Close Task Manager.
- Start > Run, type dcomcnfg in the Run Box.
- Go to Component Services > Computers > My Computer.
- Right-click My Computer, choose Properties, or in the Menu Bar, choose Action > Properties.
- Open the Default COM Security Tab, and in both the Access Permissions and Launch permissions sections, type in the Username for which you wish to add permissions.
- Press the Check Names button, and the network name and user is displayed.
- Click OK.
Install LPS while logged on as the user that you just granted default access permissions to.
Page:The InstallShieldEngine Could Not Be Launched - Access Is Denied (Loftware Print Server Family Knowledge Base)
All Versions of Loftware on NT / Win2000 / XP
All supported installation environments.